So we say goodbye to 2014 today. Hopefully, there will be a wave of awful trends that go with it. I know I could do with seeing the back of some of them. So here are a few things I want to see the end of....
The Kylie Jenner lip.
Overdrawn or overfilled? I still say this is surgery but apparently its the work of an extremely overactive lip pencil and some nude lipstick. This spawned a rush for lip pencils and nude lipsticks. The issue I have with this being: not everyone wears the same color of nude lipstick. I know everyone seems to think this is Velvet Teddy with Whirl lip liner from MAC. I don't know if it is or not but I know I would much rather spend my time focusing on a shade that suits me. I also cannot stand seeing the overdrawn lip thing. I know that a little drawing is cool but there are some awful overdraws out there.
The Kim Kardashian Contour.
This one has reigned supreme for about two years now. I for one, am sick of looking at her face. I think the main issue with this one is that people do not realise how many layers of make-up that actually is. It is NOT essential. I repeat NOT. Contouring can look a little......aging done incorrectly or on the wrong face shape. It makes me feel sad when I see young girls of 13 asking for this make-up technique or the awful youtube tutorials online. I don't contour. The only time I do is when my hair is tied up, I add a small bit of darker blusher in the hollows of my cheeks to give the impression my face is slightly slimmer then it is. I do not have the time nor the want to do what KK does. I think it look unnatural and heavy. It's time to let it go people!
The Instagram Eyebrow
I know I am not the only MUA complaining about the instagram eyebrow trend. It is a 'strong' brow which goes from light to dark and just misses looking like a scouse brow. In fact, its the brow choice of idiots. I much prefer a brow which has been filled in and looks natural. By all means, highlight, add, blend, darken or color your brows - just know that the insta-brow looks mental on everyone.
The denim nappy.
I have referred to the denim shorts that were all over the high street in the summer as, the denim nappy. It looks awful. You'll know them when you see them. They were high waisted, usually some form of faded denim with the bum cheeks hanging out. I mean a LOT of bum hanging. This was also normally worn by teenagers and young girls which makes me feel all sorts of sad and pitiful. I know that it's warm outside (well not at the moment) but can we please not have to look at arse??? I don't see men hanging around with their arse cheeks out in tiny shorts?
The seasonal lipstick.
This one drives me mental. I don't know if I am just not getting the memo that during the summer, women must wear a coral lipstick and nothing else and that during the winter, a dark wine shade. ARGH! I feel the same way about this that I do with people who will not wear bright color during the day. It. is. lipstick. It is not going to make a mockery of you! Colors are just color and lipstick wipes off! Take the plunge!
The Crop Top
This for some reason was combined with the nappy shorts. NO PEOPLE NO.
The Jelly Shoe
This was all over Topshop and American Apparel this summer. I did not see one person wearing these without blisters and in pain. I don't mind these as much as the other trends but MAN did there seem to be a lot of pain involved. What pissed me off about it was the fecking frilly socks I saw people teaming with these. Why!?!?!? I don't understand it! I don't get it! WHY! This was on grown women who should know better too. I tried a pair on in Topshop once.....five seconds and I could already feel the giant blister forming. No. I bet you anything they come back this summer to haunt me.
The Picnic Blanket coat.
I orginally liked this one but then it turned up EVERYWHERE. It started innocently enough before becoming a shit show of blankets. Some of them (Celine mainly) look really good and on the right person (tall) they can look amazing however, a lot of the high street versions (topshop) look like they have gone out to a camping supply store and picked up a picnic blanket and hacked a hole for the head into them. These do not look warm either so I can only imagine the person involved must be freezing.
So there we have it. An array of bad decision making during the year. I am not immune. There are a whole host of things that I have tried and failed at during the year. These include :
1 - Blue hair dye from Directions. I ended up with green hair and not in a good way. It has taken a six month cleanse to get rid of it.
2 - Lavender lipstick - Best left behind. I look like a corpse with it on due to being a pale Irish woman.
3 - 'ironic liner' - Liner which is best left to the catwalks as it does not translate to Nottingham high street on a Wednesday morning.
4 - Baggy boyfriend jeans which are worn EVERYWHERE. I gave up the skinny jean this summer and I did not look well for it. I know these jeans are poison and my bum looks awful HOWEVER I love them. I really cherish being comfortable while sweating my arse off in smoking areas across town.
So were there any trends i enjoyed this year? You bet there were!
Alternative hair colors
As a woman who loves color in everything, I was all over this. I have been dying my hair weird colors since I was fourteen (my first color was forest green from Stargazer) and I embrace the trend for people getting weird. Because of course I do. I look forward to more colors in 2015.
Septum Piercings
I repierced my septum in August and I love it. I love how many people are getting it done. It looks amazing. I am slightly pissed by people wearing clip ons because, well, I went through a lot of pain but screw it. DO IT.
Stick on jewels.
There is an arguement here that this should not be allowed in the form of religiously related jewels but I thought it was beautiful. I still think these are gorgeous. I love seeing them on people. It just decorates the face beautifully.
Alternative Lip colors.
So far I have seen a rush on green lipstick which includes Melt and their beautiful wine bottle green. NYX cosmetics released their collection of metallic colors and pastel beauties. Then Rihanna brought out her grey-ish/silver lipstick with MAC. MAC also made Haute Couture black a member of the standard line this year. I also saw navy, black and aqua from Illamasqua as well. Outstanding!
Metallic transfer tattoos.
I got a pack for christmas and have been working my way through them ever since! I love it. I know my pack came from Ice 9 in Nottingham but I have been decorating everything I can get my hands on ever since! HUrrah!
Glitter everything on the eyes
I definately saw a rush on glitter this Christmas. I lost count of the amount of women I saw on New Years with glitter eyeshadow, liner and lashes on. I am a massive fan of this and cannot rate it enough. I use MAC or Make Up Forever cosmetic grade glitter with MAC eyeliner mixing medium to create GORGEOUS effects. I am so happy to see this trend! I am experimenting with glitter lashes when I get back!










0 Yorumlar