Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Vogue 1247, skirt love and the top. . .not so much

Strictly adhering to my summer plan to make useful separates I have finally gotten around to Vogue 1247, Rachel Comey skirt and top.  There are many examples of this pattern around the web. Some make only the skirt, others just sew the top and there are also some fantastic outfits to be seen.  My current favorite is Merche with her turquoise skirt  and striped top.  I think the top is really successful in stripes plus her photos are very beachy so of course they look great to me.
What did I think of this pattern?  As I said in the title of the post, love the skirt! Super cute, easy to fit, I can see this working in all kinds of cottons but also in winter weight fabrics.
Vogueskirt and top3
But the top . . .I dunno,  it's just not me.  I was going for a cool, slouchy look, with my shades on. All I can think when I look at this top is . . . nurse's scrub top.    Eek, now I said it and you can't get it out of your head either.  Am I right? Plus it's not your eyes, my outdoor photos were all a bit fuzzy. No matter what is is physically impossible not to put your hands in the pockets when wearing this skirt.

V1247 skirt and top
I am making it sound worse than it is, I really like the outfit.  The top fabric is a remnant I had leftover from making a blouse for a client, it is a Mark Jacobs cotton lawn we ordered from Fashion Fabrics Club.  The skirt is a stretch denim my neighbor Alice gave me ages ago.  So cost of outfit, zero.  That is certainly in its favor.  
Maybe because I had all kinds of issues with the fit of the top and did major surgery on it to get it to feel comfortable and not like I was wearing something 3 sizes too big. I will do a follow up post on changes I made to the top pattern and some ideas I have for modifying the skirt pattern.  

Vogue 1247 skirt and top pattern
It is an interesting exercise to make something out of my usual zone, however it did end up confirming that I am not a loose and flowy style person.  And this top is not really all that loose and flowy!  
Onward, to continue with my summer separates.  Plus I had a brainwave one night and devised a plan to refashion one of my yet unseen one-hit-wonders into a wearable summer dress.  More on that to come.

Stay cool, Happy Summer sewing, Beth

Easter LilySunnyGal garden, a Lily that bloomed at the end of June.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar